self-publishing

Createspace Conundrum

complete cover 2

Actually, it wasn’t much of a difficult issue, more like annoying and stressful. In the case of formatting my novella it went pretty much as expected, given I have never, ever, in my life, formatted anything! So, there were a few things I had to correct, which Createspace flagged for me, such as fitting my PDF into the margins of the book size, which was basically me clicking a button and Createspace doing it automatically. There were other flags, such as imbedding fonts into the body of the text etc. Oh, and an interesting anomaly, where the page break had somehow jumped two pages instead of one, leaving me with a blank page and the page number at top left, instead of bottom centre. So, my poor beleaguered  husgand had to go back into the document, sort the problem, do another PDF and correct the issue for me. My patience was wearing thin at this point, given it’s not all that good at the best of times. I don’t like to admit this, but I am a bit of a perfectionist, well, ok, a lot, and I know not all things can be 100% perfect, which frustrates me more because when it comes to my art, my writing, and even housework, I strive to be the best I can be and if the plan goes awry I can become very vexed! (that’s the polite terminology there, rather than any cursing)

The cover wasn’t too had, given that Becky Hargreaves, the artist, did me a wrap-around and all I had to do was point and click, once my husband and I made sure the pixilation and sizes were Createspace standard.

All-in-all, when I look back, the process wasn’t as difficult as I imagined and although I’m not very good at doing certain things, it went well. My husband took over where I couldn’t, such as doing the PDF and some of the formatting, and ensuring the cover was good enough to upload.

We did have a small problem, in that, my blurb took up a bit too much space, and had to be corrected, as the Createspace barcode went over the writing at the bottom. Something I hadn’t considered before, but I’ll keep that in mind for any future works.

So far, Vastian Lore is available on Kindle as an ebook. Createspace will take longer due to two things:

  1. I had a problem with the billing address not matching my card info, and after talking to the bank it appears they didn’t change our address over to the new one, despite us visting the branch two months ago! I’ve corrected this, and everything should be fine now.
  2. This means I will have to wait longer for the proof copy, therefore delaying the publication date for the paperback.

Another thing to add, is that ordering a proof copy is relatively easy and cheap, but if you want it to be delivered within a short period of time, obviously that costs extra. For example: If I chose standard delivery, I wouldn’t get my proof until 14th December! So, it will cost me $16 to get my proof within a week. A price I don’t mind paying as I want to publish ASAP. But, it’s something to bear in mind for anyone wanting to use this service, and I suppose order copies for signings or events.

I’ve priced my paperback as low as I could go, whilst making a very small profit from each sale. This is due to the differences in pricing across various countries. Although, to be honest, I just want readers to enjoy the story and It’ll be nice to have a physical copy of my own!!

I’m hoping to get the paperback sorted and published by mid-November at the latest. I’ll post updates soon as I have anything to report!

Thanks for reading! 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s